One of the most effective ones in the list of natural remedies is use mustard for heartburn. There are two kinds of people, one with the short bursts of heartburns and another with chronic heartburn problems which last long.
A good amount of people who experience heartburn have a misconception about this problem. They think that this problem is related to their cardiovascular health. It is understandable that people might panic at first but the main problem here is not the heart.
The problem here is the digestive system. There are different types of treatments for heartburns. Using mustard for heartburn is one and effective one amongst all of them.
It is really significant that you find out what the underlying problem is and treat that problem as soon as possible because it could lead to more complex problems like reflux or cancer. Some of the most popular symptoms of heartburn are:
The uncomfortable feeling in the chest
The tightness of the chest
Pain in the middle of the chest
Yes, we all know that it is due to the formation of acids which are not digesting properly. In some cases, the acids might reach other organs and cause severe irritation in those organs. This leads to the tissues reacting to it and causes the feeling of general discomfort which we get.
The bile in your system increases in some cases when you ingest a good amount of food. When you burp, you might feel a bad taste in your mouth or the acidic liquid might rise up and the mouth might get a sour taste. The use of mustard for heartburn can easily help you neutralize the acids because alkaline substances with acidic substances lead to neutralization.
There is a chance that you might suffer from a coughing issue when heartburn occurs and this might turn out to be chronic because the excessive acids cause the system to act defensively and the system ultimately starts producing excessive mucus as a protective measure. Using mustard for heartburn can easily fix it.
This might even lead to nose dripping and nose dripping might lead to hiccups. What happens is that the back of your nose starts producing excessive mucus and that mucus slowly drips in the throat causing the hiccups.
What causes heartburns?
There are numerous causes for heartburn. But in most of the cases, heartburn is the result of food habits which we need to change. It is not necessarily the same for everyone but we need to understand that our body might not be able to tolerate certain ingredients.
To tackle the problem, you must identify which acidic food is causing heartburn and in what amounts. Try reducing the amount of food and check if the problem still persists. The key to good health is understanding what our body needs and using mustard for heartburn will surely help you in the process.
Some of the food items from the citrus family are responsible for this problem and they might be causing the ruckus in the acid balance in your system. One of the most popular food items is tomatoes. There are also some other items which are not easy to catch but are definitely acid rich. The examples include spices, coffee, chocolate, fat, fried food.
Some other popular reasons for heartburns are overeating, eating late at night, not properly chewing the food before swallowing. If you are used to light meals and eat something really heavy then it can cause heartburn too. Make sure that you know what your body is used to and try not to cross the limits.
If you sleep immediately after having food, it could most probably be the reason for your heartburn.
Mustard is an alkaline type of food item. When alkaline substances act with acidic substances, they neutralize. That is the reason so many people use mustard for getting rid of heartburn.
This will immediately lead to the reduction of acids in your digestive system and give you immediate relief from the heartburn problem. Iron, zinc, niacin, phosphorus, magnesium, calcium and omega 3 fatty acids are the ones responsible for aiding in the digestion process and all of those ingredients are in mustard.
Let us discuss some of the most common benefits of mustards before jumping on to the ways that we can use mustard for heartburn.
Mustard is mainly used for flavor in foods.
Some of the medicinal uses include an emetic use that is a way to cause the patient to vomit.
It is used as a diuretic which is a way to cause the patients to extract the H2O and salt from the body more often.
One of the popular medicinal uses is the application of mustard on regions which need treatment for inflammation (arthritis, rheumatism, etc).
The product of mustard consists of allyl isothiocyanate which is used in drugs that treat tumors.
There have been reports of mustard helping the patients who are the victims of heart-related conditions such as a blockage in veins.
Severe cancer cases have been showing improvement when mustard is given to the victims of those cases.
Mustard also treats diabetes if proper dosage has been followed.
It is also said that mustard has a chemical which is produced in our body. That chemical is also a neurotransmitter which helps the body to make the muscles work more efficiently. This is the reason mustard is also used for leg cramps.
Mustard is filled with minerals and it consists an acid which is in the form of vinegar. In case you are having problems related to acid reflux, one teaspoon of some good yellow mustard will surely help you relieve that problem.
Mustard consists of really high amount of magnesium when compared to other similar food items.
When magnesium content is low in your body, there is a high chance that you might have trouble sleeping and this can be treated by using mustard in your daily diet.
There is an autoimmune disease named Psoriasis and mustard seeds are one of the most effective natural remedy used in tackling that problem.
Mustard, when applied on the skin, can fight all sorts of fungal infections and one of the most common infection it is used for is the ringworm treatment.
Only one tablespoon of mustard consists of 5.9% of the recommended iron dosage. Copper is also a part of that does and both of them can help in the formation of RBC formation.
Mustards helps in strengthening the bones because they have a good amount of Selenium. It also helps in ridding the body from the free radicals and is used as an antioxidant. One tbsp = 21% daily recommended a dosage of selenium.
MUSTARD FOR HEARTBURN
All the claims made above are proving using clinical treatments and are backed by some of the best medical institutions in the world. This should be enough to convince you that mustard is one of the healthiest ingredients you can use while cooking.
Do not use more than the normal quantity because it might cause lacrimation that is a formation of tears in your eyes, hyperalgesia that is amplified pain sensation or severe problems like excitation in the nerves of your nervous system.
The excess amount might also backfire and cause more inflammation instead of reducing so take caution while trying to use mustard and always start with the lowest dosage and move up steadily in order to find out the optimal dosage which works for your body.
We all have different tolerance levels so make sure that you do not exceed the average dose in order to prevent problems.
Top ways to use Mustard for heartburn
Now that we have discussed all there is to it to one of the best food ingredients in the world, we can now move on to the ways which we can use it for treating the heartburns.
- Taking it raw with water
Yellow mustard is one of the most popular types of mustard used in the world. We are sure that you can find it in the stores near you.
Make sure that you do not use the seeds while using this method. We recommend a dosage of two tablespoons of the yellow mustard with a good amount of water.
- This should be immediately able to fix your heartburn to a certain extent and it should be as good as gone in some minutes.
Try using less/more amount of mustard in order to find the dosage which suits you.
Make sure you do not take too much because it might increase your problems.
Using the buttermilk + mustard seed combo
Keep these ingredients ready: buttermilk, asafoetida, salt, cilantro.
In case you do not have these ingredients, take note that you will not necessarily need them as long as you have buttermilk and yellow mustard available.
In case you are unable to take raw mustard with water to treat the heartburn, this is one of the best remedies which you can use in order to tackle the problem.
- Use two to three teaspoons of yellow mustard and mix them with one glass of buttermilk. Make sure that the buttermilk is not thick and in case it is, add some water.
- Add a teaspoon of salt, cilantro, asafoetida into the combination of buttermilk and yellow mustard in order to make it taste better.
However, salt, cilantro, asafoetida are not so important and you can omit them in case you do not have them.
- This will help your tissues recover from inflammation and ultimately heal your heartburn.
Using the yellow mustard powder in order to treat your heartburn
Ingesting the seeds of yellow mustard will not help much. That is the reason, we must prepare a powdered form of this product so that it can be immediately effective for heartburn anytime.
It is efficient for storing a good quantity of mustard which in turn can help in preparing food items which require the mustard powder making it even more efficient in the kitchen. Make sure that you are storing the mustard powder in an airtight container and make sure that it does not directly come in contact with the light.
- Make sure that you have a pan ready for this job.
- In order to start, you will need to heat the pan, add the mustard seeds in the heated pan and dry them.
- You can use around 25 tablespoons of mustard seeds in order to prepare enough powder so that use it whenever needed.
- Make sure that you do not roast the seeds and the seeds do not turn dark. If you are unsure, try to hear them at
- The simmering temperature for a minute or two and then take them off.
- If they turn black, they might get a bad taste and the effect might get reduced.
- Now use a blender in order to turn the seeds into a powdered form.
- You can store the powder in an airtight space and refrigerate it as well.
- Use honey and water with the powder
- Add two tablespoons of honey in lukewarm water
- Add two teaspoons of mustard and mix them
- Drink it up and you will feel an immediate relief
- Buttermilk + mustard powder combo
- Make sure the buttermilk is not thick.
- In case it is thick, dilute it with water.
- Add two to three teaspoons of mustard powder
- Add chopped cilantro and some ginger
- Mix all of them well and drink the potion
- Prepare tea with mustard powder in it
- One of the best drinks for the digestive system is tea and you can enhance it even more by adding mustard
- powderBoil water in a kettle
- Once the water starts boiling, add a teaspoon of tea powder or leaves to it
- You can use any type of tea, make sure that the quality of the tea is good
- Add two teaspoons of yellow mustard powder and some grated ginger
- Once the tea has been prepared, wait for it to cool down
- Add one tablespoon of honey to it
- Using the powder with bean stew
- You can add the mustard powder directly to the bean stew to make it even tastier.
- You can use the following ingredients for the preparation of your bean stew:
- ½ cup of grated onions
- 1 tbsp of canola oil
- 2 large carrots
- 16 ounces of kidney beans
- 12 ounces of drained tomatoes
- 3-4 tsp yellow mustard powder
- Indian style
- Use garlic, jalapenos and some grated ginger.
- Cook those three with some mustard powder
- You can prepare something good by using the following ingredients:
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- Some chopped cilantro
- 1 ½ tomato chopped
- 1 ½ jalapeno minced
- ½ cup of water
- 1 tbsp ginger root
- Salt for a great taste
- Using with Italian dishes
- You can cook some veggies which are blanched and add some red pepper to them.
- Add some yellow mustard powder along with red wine vinegar.
- You can prepare something good using the following ingredients
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp garlic
- 1 tsp seasonings
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 green bell pepper
- Some cooked quinoa and dairy milk
- Create a Bali-style meal
- Cook some veggies and use the ‘sambal match’ sauce.
- You can add some lemongrass with the yellow mustard to make it taste really good.
- Quick preparation of sambal can be done by using kaffir lime leaf and lemongrass.
- You can add mustard powder and greens to the mix add some garlic chips.
- You can alternatively use some potato chips as well
- This should easily help you counter acid reflux.
This is one of the best guides which you can refer to in order to use mustard for heartburn. Make sure that you try all the recipes listed in this guide in order to enjoy the food and taste it to the fullest. We hope that this guide helps you out. Good luck.