The Shaving is a quick way to remove the unwanted hairs but there is also some drawback like razor burn. Razor burn can be described as irritation on the skin which happens soon after shaving. Razor burn causes a burning sensation and can also see as a red rash. Sometimes it can be swollen and itchy too.
Generally, men who shave their faces frequently are the ones who suffer from razor burn. Women also face razor burn after shaving their armpits and legs.
There can be several causes of razor burn like:
- Use of hard soap,
- Using a dull blade,
- Unconditioned skin,
- Sensitive skin and
- Shaving dry.
Razor burn can cause discomfort. Fortunately, there are some home remedies which will help you to get rid of the razor burn.
Here are Top home remedies which you can try at home:
A cold compress is an easy and effective way to treat the burning sensation caused by razor burns. It helps in reducing the inflammation and soothing the area. Plus it helps in prevent razor bumps from forming and helps in reducing the redness and itching caused by razor burn.
- Take few ice cubes in a clean thin towel. Then place this towel simply on the targeted area for some time.
- Alternatively, take cold water in a container and soak a cloth in it and then place it on the affected area for some time until the feel of burning sensation goes away.
- Follow either of these therapies a few times a day as per the requirements.
- Tip: To prevent the razor burn, splash cold water on the skin after finishes of shaving.
Apple cider vinegar:
Apple cider vinegar can be used to treat the razor burn instantly. The apple cider vinegar has anti-inflammatory properties which work to reduce the itching sensation as well as inflammation. Apple cider vinegar helps in to prevent the infection as it contains acetic acid.
- Take a cotton ball and dab it in apple cider vinegar, apply this cotton ball on the affected area.
- Let it air dry and then rinse it off with warm water.
- Follow this twice or thrice a day until the burning sensation stops completely.
- Note: If you have sensitive skin then you should dilute the apple cider vinegar with water before you apply it on your skin.
To get rid of razor burn aspirin is another very effective way which helps to quickly treat the burning sensation. It has anti-inflammatory properties which help in reduce the inflammation and redness.
- Take one teaspoon of warm water and put 2 aspirin in it.
- Let it sit until it turns into a paste.
- Now apply this paste on the affected area of your skin.
- Leave it there for 10 minutes and then rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Use this therapy twice a day and it will help you to get rid of the discomfort. It will also remove the razor bumps.
- Note: Those who have sensitive skin should not use this remedy.
Aloe vera will help in soothing the skin inflamed by the razor burn. The Aloe vera will give you instant relief from the inflammation and burning sensation as it has both cooling and soothing properties. It will help to keep the skin moisturized which also helps in speeding up the healing process.
- Extract some fresh aloe vera gel from aloe vera leaf.
- Apply this gel on the affected area of the skin.
- Let it dry on its own and then wash it off with cold water.
- Repeat this treatment twice or thrice daily for 3 to 4 days to see the better results.
Black tea bags:
The tea bags which you use to make yourself a cup of tea are also useful to treat the razor burn problem. It helps in reducing the redness and inflammation as it has tannic acid in it.
- Take a cup of warm water and dip a tea bag in it for 10 minutes so that it gets moist.
- Now cool the tea bag by putting it in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Rub this cool tea bag over the affected area for 5 minutes.
- Repeat this process several times a day, daily.
Honey can be used to treat the razor burn instantly as it has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It will also help in keeping the skin moisturized and smooth. It will also prevent the affected area from being infected.
- Apply raw honey all over the affected area or where the skin is irritated. Let it air dry and then wash it off with cold water.
- Alternatively, Take one tablespoon of plain yogurt and one-half tablespoon of honey, mix this well. Now apply this mixture over the affected area, let it sit there for 10 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Use either of the above treatments for thrice or four times a day as long as needed.
Baking soda is an old fashioned but an effective remedy for the razor burn. As it has anti-inflammatory properties, it helps in soothing the skin. Plus it also helps in reducing the redness and itching of the skin caused by razor burn.
- Take one tablespoon of baking soda and a cup of water, mix these well.
- Now take a cotton ball and soak it in this solution and then apply this cotton ball on the affected area.
- Leave it there for about 5 minutes, and then wash it off with cool water.
- Follow this twice or thrice daily as needed.
Cucumber is known for its anti-inflammatory and hydrating properties which helps in treating the razor burn symptoms instantly. Plus cucumber does contain Vitamin K and C, two important elements to treat pain and itchiness.
- Take a fresh cucumber and slice it. Put the slices in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Now rub this cool cucumber slices gently over the affected area for 10 minutes. Repeat this at regular intervals.
- Alternatively, Puree half cucumber and mix it with a quarter cup of milk. Now let this mixture be cool in refrigerator. Now apply this on the affected area. Leave it there for 10 minutes and then wash it off with warm water. Follow this daily at least twice or thrice a day.
The above-mentioned remedies are best to treat the razor burn, as they will help you to treat the itchy skin and inflamed portion. It will also save you some doctor consultancy fees and time for that. These may be slow but effective home remedies.