Majority of the Cancer patients who actually practice yoga as therapy while their treatment, often refer to their yoga practice as a life-saver. Well the curing power of yoga assists both cancer patients as well as cancer survivors. No matter how little energy and no matter how sick from treatments, many find that the one thing that would fetch comfort was a gentle set of therapeutic yoga poses geared for cancer patients.
When fighting cancer, the worst part is not only the symptoms of the disease itself, but often the debilitating and discomfort fatigue brought on from various cancer treatments. Whether ongoing nausea or faced with the scar-tissue of surgery and weakness from chemotherapy or radiation, cancer patients suffer a long road of physical trials.
But nowadays as many cancer survivors and cancer patients are discovering, there are various ways to deal with the uncomfortable side-effects of treatment and strengthen their bodies, both during and after treatment. As the attraction in more holistic approaches to curing is growing, yoga therapy for cancer patients and cancer survivors is appearing as one of the more successful methods for countering the physical pain of cancer and cancer treatment.
Yoga is known as the science of leading a blissful life. The popularity of Yoga is largely due to its wide range of therapeutic effects on both the mind and body. Yoga is not a religion but a philosophy of life. It is also a control, discipline or regulation with having a scientific background.
It is timeless and universal, and effective and relevant today as it was when it was initially developed around 2000 years ago. In fact, it is a great way to maintain a fair outlook in the face of pressures and circumstances from modern-day-living.
Yoga for Cancer
But How does yoga actually assist cure the suffering that cancer all too often brings with it? mild yoga poses for cancer patients can work like magic on various levels.
1.Typically Clearing out the Toxins from Cancer Treatment.
2. Decreasing Stress level and Anxiety in Cancer Patients.
3. Yoga as an effective Exercise for Cancer Patients
4. Yoga as a cure for Cancer Patients
Now, follow these simple and effective Yogasanas which are suitable for the Cancer Patients. First of all, one thing to be remember and that is that there is no permanent cure for the cancer has been discovered. And if you are really looking to get treated in first two stages then you should also control in your diet followed with herbal remedies and yoga as well.
1. Seated Meditation
A beginner’s pose, seated meditation helps you to focus on breathing and mindfulness.
- Start off with sitting on the floor with your legs crossed in front of you.
- Now close your eyes and feel your sitting bones in contact with the floor.
- Lengthen your spine to sit up tall, and softly drop your chin down a little so that your neck is aligned with your spine.
- Breathe deeply in and gently out and try to keep your mind from focused and do not think of anything just focus.
“We know that life is not that easy and its very painful — that getting cancer and going through those painful cancer treatment is extremely miserable, emotionally as well as physically,” says Bellofatto. “But as yogis, It is also taught that suffering is optional, that one can simply transform his/her suffering into awakening with the simple recognition that anything and everything in life is for our self-awakening.”
Mandukasana is very effective yoga pose for cancer patients and it is also called ‘Frog pose’ as its name is typically derived from the Sanskrit word “manduk” which generally means a frog. It can be performed by everyone but for cancer patients it should be done around 5-7 times a day. Make sure Over-exertion of energy is not allowed.
How to perform?
- Just start off by sitting in a Vajrasana posture; close your fists of both the hands.
- While clenching the fists press the thumb inside with the fingers.
- While you press the navel with both your fists, make sure you breathe out and bend forward.
- Just keep looking straight; remain same in the position for a while and then return back to Vajrasana pose.
- Repeat this pose for at least 5-7 times a day.
The word is basically derived from the Sanskrit word ‘Bhujang’ which literally means ‘snake’. It is also popular as “Rising-snake pose”. In this pose, your body tends like a rising snake. It should be avoided by those cancer patients who have just undergone through abdominal or stomach surgery due to Cancer.
You must take a break of minimal 6 months to 1 year before performing this yogasana.
How to perform?
- Lie down on the floor with your hands pushing the floor and forehead focusing front.
- Softly rise your abdomen part with a deep breathe in.
- Your chest, abdomen and head should be like on air.
- Remain in the position for at least 15-30 seconds.
- While exhaling come back to the ground again.
- Repeat this yogasana for minimal 5-7 times (for cancer patients).
It is also being known as “Seat pose or “Rabbit pose”. It generally stimulates the endocrine system and immune system. For Cancer patients, this yogasana is a great remedy. It should be performed at least 4-5 times a day for better reults.
How to perform?
- First off start it by sitting in Vajrasana pose and while breathing in lift both of your hands upwards.
- Next While bending forward; Breathe out and stretch the hands forward.
- Keeping your palms down and rest the hands on the floor till the elbow.
- Your forehead must also rest on the floor.
- Stay in this position for a while and again return back to the Vajrasana pose.
Markatasana pose is very famous as “Monkey pose”. One must perform this yogasana very carefully; it is very effective and helpful to healing Cancer. A Cancer patient must perform it 5-6 times a day for better results.
How to perform?
- Start off by lying down straight and spread both of your hands at the shoulder level.
- The palms must remain open and facing the sky.
- Fold both of your legs at knees and keep them near your hips.
- Now, turn your knees towards the right side; rest the right knee on the floor.
- Left knee must rest on your right knee and left ankle must rest on the right one.
- Similarly, repeat the yogasana from the left side as well and must be done at least 5-6 times a day.
Matasyasana as its name signifies is also known as ‘Fish pose’. In this very yogasana, your body tends to be like a pose. It is very helpful and beneficial for Cancer patients.
How to perform?
- Start off by Sitting in a Padmasana pose and lie down backwards.
- Then take the support of your hands and resting elbows.
- Now bend the neck backwards as much as you are capable of.
- Then your back and chest should be raised while the knees remain touching the floor.
- Hold the thumb of both your toes respectively with both of your hands and rest your elbows on the floor.
- Gently breathe in and hold the breath.
- One may either return back to the original position or lie down in Savasana by bringing the head and shoulders on the floor and the legs stretched.
- This is basically the reverse of Sarvangasana.
Were you aware of these effective poses in yoga for cancer patients before? Follow These basic yoga poses to help tremendously with your ongoing cancer treatment. If you have something to share Please leave a comment below.