In this article, we are going to talk about food poisoning. Food poisoning is spreading of bacteria in the stomach due to contaminated food. Diarrhea, stomach ache, cramps are some of the common symptoms of food poisoning.
Don’t worry I am going to provide some simple home remedies that you can try at home to treat food poisoning. Before come to that, let’s talk some of the common reasons for food poisoning.
Here are some of the food items that cause food poisoning:
- Berries: Berries are great for vitamins and minerals as well as Dirt, Bacteria, and pesticides. So always wash before use.
- Deli Meats: We all love pates, Deli Salads, and Deli meats but so does listeria monocytogenes. So keep these refrigerated and consume as soon as possible.
- Alfalfa sprouts: Bacteria Love warm, moist conditions, so be careful how you store them.
- Cheese: Soft cheeses like Brie are a particular risk and Listeria monocytogenes can thrive.
- Tomatoes: No matter how you pronounce it, they are another harbored of Dirt, Bacteria, and pesticides.
- Leafy Greens: Leafy greens are the most likely to be contaminated with bacteria if they come in contact with contaminated water. So always wash before eating.
- Shellfish: Crab, Oysters, Prawns, and Lobster can contain bacteria, So always buy from a respectable supplier.
- Eggs: Salmonella poisoning is a risk with raw eggs. Reduce the risk by consuming immediately.
- Mincemeat: Mince significantly increases the spread of bacteria. To ensure it is thoroughly cooked.
- Chicken: That secret ingredient is just as likely to be Salmonella or Campylobacter bacteria or Staph Bacteria.
As we have covered the major causes of food poisoning now let us move directly toward home remedies for food poisoning:
Ginger is a very good digestive aid. It is an anti-inflammatory spice. It also has some antibiotic character. These can work wonders for your inflammation and infection. So have a tablespoon of ginger juice twice or thrice a day to reduce the ferocity of your symptoms.
Cut a piece of ginger. Grind it with a grinder and then take one glass of water and boil ground ginger in water. Let the boiled water be cool, then sip it slowly. You can squeeze ginger juice and add a spoon of honey in it and then have it. This mixture will help you providing relief from the symptoms of food poisoning.
Cumin seeds are used as anti-inflammatories. It also helps in the secretion of pancreatic juice. Moreover, it has been seen that it can relieve stomach pain and vomiting. You can take some crushed cumin seeds in a cup of water at least twice a day. This will cure your stomach problems.
Alternatively, Take a teaspoon of cumin seeds and yogurt each and have it. Now slowly try to chew the cumin seeds and then swallow it. The antibacterial and antimicrobial properties in both the ingredients help to fight the bacteria that cause food poisoning.
Apple cider vinegar:
Your stomach is the habitat for some good and some bad bacteria. During an infection the good bacteria are overpowered; the bad ones get prominence. These are responsible for the formation of more acid.
The alkaline content in apple cider vinegar helps in providing relief to the gastrointestinal lining and completely destroy the bacteria which causes trouble.
- Add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of warm water.
- Mix it well with the help of a teaspoon.
- Drink it daily, to see better results.
Yes, bread can give you some relief from the symptoms. It can soak up some of the acid and bad bacteria. This is quite effective as primary care for food poisoning. It is even better to take it without toasting.
As bread is a staple food prepared from a dough of flour and water by baking. So this is very light and healthy for your food if you are experiencing food poisoning. Take one or two bread and eat them by chewing at least 32 times each bite.
Coconut water and banana:
Diarrhea can be one of the problems in food poisoning. In that case, minerals and fluid are going out of your body at a rapid rate. You need to replenish the stock. This you can do with coconut water.
It will supply you with the fluid as well as many of the essential minerals such as Potassium. Take several ounces of coconut water throughout the day.
You will feel more or less rejuvenated. You can also take a banana. It is very soothing for the lining of your gastrointestinal tract. Moreover, it is very rich in potassium. Take at least three to four ripe banana throughout the day.
Drink basil juice extracted from a few basils leaves with one tablespoon of honey several times a day. You can also add some fresh coriander juice to it.
Put a few drops of basil oil in four cups of drinking water. Drink it slowly throughout the day to kill bacteria causing stomach pain and other problems.
Add basil leaves, some sea salt, and a pinch black pepper to three tablespoons of plain yogurt. Eat this three to four times a day until your symptoms are gone.
Eat one fresh garlic clove, swallowing it with water. If you can tolerate the smell of garlic, you can also try garlic juice.
Alternatively, you can make a mixture of garlic oil and soybean oil and rub it on your stomach after eating.
Sipping on different types of herbal tea can help soothe your disturbed system and keep your body well hydrated.
Peppermint tea has a soothing effect on your stomach and can relieve stomach cramps. Comfrey root and meadowsweet tea will treat your stomach infection.
If you are experiencing nausea, try licorice tea or chamomile tea as these teas will reduce inflammation and clam your stomach which will ultimately help in the treatment of your food poisoning.
Honey has both antifungal and antibacterial properties that can be effective for treating indigestion and other food poisoning symptoms. It is a natural remedy can be taken in its pure form or added to tea.
A teaspoon of honey three times a day can do wonders to heal an upset stomach. It also controls the formation of excess acid in the stomach.
Now to conclude and finish this article with some general tip for a stay away from food poisoning are: Do not eat any street food as those foods contain lots of germs, Avoid packing foods as our digestive system getting damage by these packed foods. Eat lots of fruits and raw vegetables to stay healthy to enjoy life to the fullest.