Epilepsy is a neurological disorder happened by sudden recurrent episodes of sensory disturbance or loss of consciousness. Epilepsy is associated with some abnormal electrical activities in the brain. Experts of this do not yet know that what cause the epilepsy.
The main symptom of epilepsy is continuous or repeated seizers happens without any warning. This can lead to:
- Problems with muscle controls,
- Problem of vision,
- Problem of speech,
- Convulsions or
At times, any person suffering from epilepsy may faint or lose his or her consciousness.
Generally epilepsy happens during the early childhood or after the age of 60 years, but it can occur at any stage of life. There are certain factors that can increase the risk your epilepsy are:
- A head injury
- Brain tumors
- Other vascular disease
- Family history of epilepsy
- Prenatal brain development problems
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Brain infections
- Lead poisoning or
Epileptic seizures can be threating or scary but they generally do not cause any intellectual disability or mental illness. In addition, not everyone suffering from seizures have epilepsy. Usually if more than two seizers occurs within 24 hours than diagnosis of epilepsy is required.
Fortunately you can reduce and control seizures with lifestyle changes, medicines and some herbal remedies.
Here are top home remedies to deal with epilepsy. These remedies, however are not any substitute of medicines which are prescribed by you doctors:
Some studies have shown that Epsom salt is very effective in reducing the seizures in people suffering with epilepsy. Epsom salt contains magnesium sulfate which helps in changing physiochemical cell relationships in the brain, which ultimately lessens the occurrence of seizures frequency and convulsions.
- Take some pure grade Epsom salt and crush it into a very fine powder. Take a glass of orange juice and add a half spoon of Epsom salt powder it in and drink this each morning to treat this problem.
- Additional to this, you can also enjoy soothing and relaxing Epsom salt baths twice or thrice a week.
In treating the epilepsy coconut oil is highly effective. Coconut oil contains fatty acids which have therapeutic effects on brain cells. Moreover, these fatty acids supply the required energy for the brain cells which ultimately helps in relieve symptoms of the epilepsy.
- Have a teaspoon of coconut oil (extra virgin) thrice a day. Try to increase this amount gradually by a few tablespoons a day.
- Plus, use coconut oil for cooking your meals, in salad dressings and as a spread.
Garlic is very useful in treating epilepsy. Its antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties help destroying the harmful free radicals in the body and also helps in promoting proper functioning of our nervous system. This ultimately prevents seizures and other epilepsy related problems.
- Take half cup of milk and water each and mix them together. Boil this mixture. Now add 4 to 5 crushed garlic cloves and boil this mixture until reduces by half. Strain it and drink at least once daily.
- Alternatively, there are garlic supplements available in the market. Take supplements only after consulting your doctor for the correct dosage.
Limes is a very popular ayurvedic home remedy for epilepsy. Limes helps in improving the circulation of blood to the brain. Moreover, limes helps in normalize the situation of excess calcium which may hamper brain functionality.
- Take two tablespoons of fresh lime juice and a half teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water, now mix this well. Drink this daily before going to bed for sleep.
- Alternatively, you can apply fresh lime juice on top of your head and gently massage there for few minutes. Follow this remedy daily before taking a bath.
Passion flower is an effective herb which also helps in reducing seizures. It possess a chemical which is known a chrysin, which generally helps in increase the amount of gamma amino butyric acid in the brain. This ultimately reduces the seizures frequency as well as anxiety.
- Prepare herbal tea prepared with passionflower and try to drink 1 or 2 cups of it daily. Steep one teaspoon of dried passionflower in a cup of boiling water for 15 minutes and then strain it.
- Passion flowers capsules, tablet, tincture and liquid forms are also available at medical stores. If you are taking these forms then first consult your doctor for the dosage and guidance for it.
- Note: If you are pregnant or breastfeeding your child, then avoid passionflower. Consult your doctor before having this herb as it may increase the effects of anti-seizure medications.
Winter melon, also known as ash gourd and is very effective home remedy for epilepsy according to Ayurveda, due to its medicinal and nutritional properties. This vegetable helps in keeping the nervous system healthy and also ensures smooth functioning of the cells of brain.
- Take a half glass of winter melon juice and drink it daily in the morning on an empty stomach. To improve the taste you can add some sugar in it.
- Another way of using this is extract the juice of a bowl of crushed winter melon. Add 2 spoons (teaspoon) of licorice powder in this and mix it well. Drink this solution daily to get a good result.
Daily routine of any kind of exercises improves energy, mood and overall fitness of the body which ultimately helps reducing the impact of epilepsy on one’s life and also reduces the frequency of seizures. Moreover, exercises know to release feel-good hormones into brain and improve the oxygen flow to the brain
- Try some stretching and warm up exercises daily to feel more good and relaxed.
- Swimming and any other water sports can a very great and effective exercise.
- Gardening and other types of relaxing activities (watering to flowers) are also great exercises and also release feel-good hormones to the brain.
- Walking is one of the safest and easiest exercise that people suffering from epilepsy should do to get rid of it. Daily walking of 45 minutes will drastically show some results. Follow this even if you relieved from epilepsy.
- Note: Try to drink small amount of water after and before exercise to prevent your body from dehydration. In addition, stop and rest while exercising if you started feeling tired. Do not exercise more in the first 2 weeks of exercising. After two week you can double your exercise routine.
Along with these home remedies, a simple and very effective home and natural remedy is YOGA and MEDITATION. Meditation and yoga are very great in treating any problem relating to mind. So try some yoga and meditation for 20 minutes each. It will show you very effective and great results.