Enlarge prostate means the gland which is responsible to pass urine out of the body has grown bigger. The enlarged prostate generally happens to all men as they get older. Enlarge prostate also is often called benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). BPH is not the same as prostate cancer.
The prostate is muscular (in the shape of a walnut), small gland present in the male reproductive system. It surrounds urethra which is just under the urinary bladder and also adds liquid to semen to allow the sperm mobility.
With age, the multiplication of cells of gland begins which leads to enlarging prostate but the exact cause of this problem is still unknown. The main factor which leads to enlarging prostate can be the changes in the male sex hormones with the age of a person.
Other risk factors that lead to enlarged prostate gland are:
- Heart disease
- Diabetes and
- A family history of this disease.
The men of Asian heritage have more chances of having an enlarged prostate than any other races. Many men with BPH have either very mild symptoms or no symptom at all. However, in many cases, they have severe symptoms that may even interfere with their quality of life.
Some of the symptoms of BPH are:
- Increased frequency of urination at night
- Trouble starting a stream of urine
- A frequent urge to urinate
- A weak urine system
- A feeling of incomplete bladder emptying
- Continued dribbling of urine.
If this problem is left untreated then it can block the urine flow out of the bladder which ultimately leads to other complications like UTI’s, urinary retention, kidney damage, and bladder stones.
There are various treatments for enlarging prostate including therapies, surgery, and medications. In addition to these treatments, there are some home remedies and lifestyle changes which will help in ease the symptoms.
Here are some top home remedies to treat enlarge prostate:
Aerobic and resistance exercises:
Staying fit and active is good for the prostate and overall health as well. A person who is inactive may get obesity which is one of the risk factors for enlarging prostate.
You need not perform so many exercises, even a small amount of exercises like resistance exercise and aerobic exercise will help in reducing the urinary problems which are caused by an enlarged prostate and even prevent this problem.
- Some aerobic exercises will help you in maintaining a healthy weight. Try to do some aerobic exercises like jogging, walking, tennis, running, basketball and rowing in your daily routine.
- Resistance exercises are known for improving muscle tone and strength while reducing inflammation. Some examples of resistance exercise are push-ups, lifting weights and swimming. Do these resistance exercises for 30 minutes, a few times a week.
Kegel exercises help in strengthening the penis and helps in ease some of the discomforts on enlarge prostate and also clench pelvic muscles which help in controlling the urination.
- Empty your bladder and then lie on the floor with knees bent and apart. Try tightening the pelvic muscles for 4 to 5 seconds, then let the muscles relax for 5 seconds. Repeat this exercise for 10 to 15 times and 3 to 4 times every day. This helps in tightening those muscles which we use to stop our urine flow.
- An alternative option is, squeeze the muscles in an anus, then let them relax your pelvic floor muscles. Do it for 10 to 15 times, 3-4 times a day.
Try to perform Kegel exercises daily. You can perform these exercises any time in the day whether it is morning, noon or evening or you are going to bed.
Try to target only your pelvic muscles and avoid tightening the stomach muscles or thigh muscles. If you are having any kind of difficulty in locating the pelvic muscles then get help from an expert in that area.
Note: Those who suffer from chronic pelvic pain and chronic prostatitis syndrome must avoid doing any Kegel exercises.
Stinging nettle also does help in lessening the symptoms of BPH. The root possesses some essential bioactive phytochemicals which do help in shrink prostate tissue. It also does encourages the removing of inflammatory wastes through urination because of its natural diuretic properties.
- Take and add one teaspoon of dried nettle leaves in a cup of hot water. Steep it for 10 minutes and then strain it. Try to drink this tea for three to four times a day.
- You can also use stinging nettle supplements in a usual amount of 300 mg daily. Before taking supplements always consult your doctor first for the correct dosage for your condition.
To fight the symptoms of enlarge prostate corn silk is a time tested remedy. It generally acts as a natural diuretic and also helps in relaxing the urinary muscles and lining which ultimately helps in improving the urine flow.
- Take the silk of 6 years of fresh corn in 4 cups of boiling water. Then slowly simmer for 10 more minutes. Now strain this and drink up around 3 cups of this corn silk tea a day.
- Alternatively, you can add 10 to 15 drops of corn silk extract to a cup of water and drink this few times a day.
This bath is an effective remedy and soothing for enlarging prostate. A hot bath will help in relaxing the pelvic muscles, promote healing and reduce swelling. On the other hand, the cold bath helps to ease the pain.
- Fill a bathtub with warm water and add half a cup of Epsom salt in it.
- Fill another bathtub with cold water and add a few drops of lavender essential oil in this bathtub.
- Now, first, have a bath in hot water up to your waist for 2 minutes.
- Next, sit in the cold water bathtub up to your waist for a minute.
- Do this 2 more times. Make sure the last bath should always be in cold water.
- Enjoy a Sitz bath a few time in a week.
- Note: Do not try to follow this remedy if you have some acute bacterial prostatitis.
Apple cider vinegar:
Unfiltered and raw apple cider vinegar has some astringent properties which help in shrink the affected glands. It also helps in losing the weight and prevent the complications of an enlarged prostate.
- Take 2 tablespoons of raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar with one tablespoon of honey in a glass of warm water. Drink this two times a day.
Follow these above shown natural home remedies. These remedies may be slow in showing results but are very good and long lasting. So you can use these remedies with prescription provided by the doctor. Hope the above information was useful.