A dry cough creates some or no mucus and is a result of irritation or inflammation in the throat and chest. A dry cough often occurs alongside a tickly cough and can be caused by viral infections or allergies. Dry cough termed as nonproductive as it does not produce any mucus.
Just like sneezing dry cough can happen anytime. A cough can be either dry cough or productive, which means accompanies by mucus. Basically, it is a mechanism to clear your throat and airways. However persistent coughing can cause headache, exhaustion, and sleeplessness.
If accompanies by an itchy throat and congestion, a dry cough can play havoc with your temperament. This problem can be caused by:
- Exposure to irritants
- Common cold
- Asthma, Tuber clause
- Post-nasal drip, bronchitis and
- Cigarette smoking.
Causes of Dry cough: The common causes of dry cough are as follows:
- Viral infections: Some time dry cough can be caused by a viral infection like cold or flu. In this cough may happen at the start of the infection or at the end.
- Allergies: Sometimes dry can be a result of allergies. These allergies are generally of grass and trees which cause irritation to the eyes and the throat is affected, Or allergy because of other particles such as animal fur etc. If you are not sure about dry cough than you may take a test to confirm.
- Air pollutants: Sometimes we enter a room where smokers live, then in that room, lots of air pollutants are present which may affect the throat of a non- smoker.
- Acid reflux: This is now accepted as a cause of dry cough. In this what really happens is that acidic contents of the stomach travel upwards to the back of the throat which cause inflammation and coughing. This is more likely when one is laying down flat. Acid reflux is a prominent element of GERD (Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease)
- Side effects of medicines: Some of the medicines, particularly those for high blood pressure, can cause a dry cough.
Most over the counter dry cough meditation can spark side effects, so Top 10 natural and safe home remedies for relief:
Salt water gargle:
The properties of salt are anti-inflammatory. The first aid in the case of Dry cough which the dentist suggest to their patient is Gargling with a salt solution.
If that does not work then they use surgical procedures to prevent infections and for faster healing.
So what happens when you gargle with salt water?
When you gargle with salt water solution, a temporary increase in pH makes it difficult for the bacteria to survive.
How to make this solution?
To make a solution which helps to relieve from cough. Just take half teaspoon of salt and dissolve it in a cup of warm water. You will get an isotonic solution which will prevent the irritation of the mucous lining of the oral cavity. This anti-inflammatory effect of salt gargle often lasts several hours.
This is the most simple and effective way to provide relief to a throat which is infected with any kind of cough whether dry cough or productive cough associated with bronchitis and other respiratory infections.
In this, you need to inhale the steam. The warm vapors moisturize the dry and irritated airways and help relieve inflammation.
I will advise you to inhale steam before going to bed as this will clear up nasal and chest congestion and provides for a night of better sleep. If your cough is intolerable during the day time, you can also do this at that time.
Cover your head with a towel when taking steam. Do maintain distance to avoid burns.
Lemon and honey:
If you are not able to sleep at night due to coughing, then there is an instant way to treat that problem for you.
Lemon juice and honey mixture can cure this instantly so that you can take a good night sleep and not disturb other’s sleep at the same time.
This mixture of lemon and honey can be taken before bedtime to soothe your throat and keep the respiratory tract well hydrated throughout the night. How to make this?
- Take 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of honey.
- Now pour both these in warm water and drink instantly.
- It helps in lightening the mucus and makes it easy to bring it up.
- Have several cups of this drink and use it as when you need it.
Turmeric milk is the oldest way and Ayurveda way to treat cough or throat problems. It gives relief from a cough and cold. Turmeric milk is a commonly used traditional remedy for a cough, cold and other respiratory tract infections. The antiviral and antibacterial properties of turmeric can help fight the infections.
- Mix 1-2 tablespoon of turmeric powder in a glass of warm milk.
- Using this concoction twice a day offers relief from cough in just two days.
- This remedy works better for cough caused by bacteria.
This may be the cheapest and effective way that may help you to get rid of a cough. The properties of raw garlic are very useful in the treatment of cough whether it is because of anti-bacterial or antiviral.
Just keep a clove of raw garlic in the mouth and crush it slowly to help release a bit of juice that can help control coughing bouts.
You can also load your food with crushed garlic which will also help you to prevent secondary infections that generally follow a common cold and respiratory allergies.
Black Seed oil:
Black seed oil also called black cumin seed oil derived from Nigella sativa plant that is native to Asia.
The Black seed oil is packed full of medicinal benefits. Its properties are so good that these seeds are used to treat the biggest disease.
For treating dry cough you can also use crushed seeds mixed with honey but black seed oil is even more beneficial.
Procedure: Take one-half teaspoon of black seed oil with one-half teaspoon honey twice a day. This mixture has the powers which can treat all kinds of a cough whether it is because of cold and flu, bronchitis, pneumonia, tuberculosis or asthma.
You can have a full bowl of hot soup to provide temporary relief to your throat from dry cough. You will also get relief from you cold for a while.
Its effect will not last or it will not treat it permanent but will give you some time and good sleep so that you will able to get the right treatment of your cough.
Following types of soups can be consumed during Cough:
- Spiced lentil soup
- Curried sweet potato
- Tortilla soup
- Curried Cauliflower soup.
- Chicken & Sweet Corn Soup.
- A Chicken And Almond Soup.
- Chicken And Dal Soup.
- A Chicken And Leek Soup.
- Chicken Laksa.
- A Chicken Mulligatawny.
- Chicken Soup.
- A Chicken Vermicelli Soup.
Onion remedies are the most effective and old remedy that can cure your dry cough.
Characteristics of onion are- it has excellent antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties.
Onion juice can also be used in treating bronchitis, it helps in lighting the mucus present in the throat.
Onion juice will help to stop bacterial growth in the throat and easing painful coughing.
- Just take an onion or regular size.
- Now grate it and squeeze the juice out of it.
- Now drink it by using a teaspoon. ½ teaspoon at a time.
- If you are not liking its taste, you may add some honey or rock sugar for taste.
Dry ginger and pepper:
It’s an ayurvedic remedy to treat the dry cough. Its mixture will help you to provide instant relief to the throat.
Make sure that you will use dry ginger, not fresh ginger. Dry ginger is nothing else but ginger root dried after light steaming.
- A quantity of this mixture should be very low or moderate.
- Put only a tiny pinch of the mixture on your tongue, it will be spicy and pungent.
- If you can’t have it direct than you may add some rock sugar in this mixture to change its taste.
- Or you can add half spoon of honey in it to make it sweet.
Humidify the environment:
Some people are intolerable to the air pollutants available in dusty places or cities where there is lots of pollution. You cannot humidify the whole environment but you may humidify your surroundings so that you will not be bothered anymore by a dry cough.
To do this, you may use any electronic air purifier or can plant some air purifier plants inside your room or place where you sit the most.
Some of the air purifier plants are:
- Garden Mum
- Spider plant
- Focus/Weeping Fig
- Peace Lily
- Boston Fern
So to conclude this article, I would like to give a general tip to you people that do use these remedies if the dry cough is not so chronic. If you think that this is very rough then you should consult your doctor for this purpose.